Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Some big changes are on its way...

Tomorrow I am cutting about 10 inches off of my hair! I'm excited, but I'm also very worried that I will eventually hate it and miss my long hair terribly. I have always been a long-haired girl, I almost see my long hair as a part of my identity, a part of my beauty! But, I am getting very tired of the high-maintenance of taking care of this hair. I usually end up just putting it in a bun and leaving it there. So, I am dedicating tomorrow to big changes and major pampering for a pregnant lady in need. I'm getting a pedicure too, something I've had done only once before in my life! I'm excited.

I tried making homemade pecan pralines last night to go with homemade vanilla ice cream I'm making today, and it was a very frustrating experience! The mixture would NOT harden around the pecans. The problem was that my candy thermometer stopped working, so I had no idea when it was hot enough (and you have only like a three degree window before you have to take it off of the heat) so I had to try it again two more times, the last time adding more sugar, before it finally caramelized and worked. Sort of. They're pretty grainy, but at least they're solid! Ugh. I'm usually a pretty great cook, especially when it comes to desserts, but candy making is another world entirely. I want to get better at it, and I know that with practice (and a new, functional candy thermometer) I will.

Well, that's all I have to say for today! Until next time...

1 comment: